About Our Community
Fortuna CA Assisted Living
Brookdale Fortuna, formerly Emeritus at Sequoia Springs, is a Fortuna, CA Assisted Living facility that also provides Alzheimer’s care for seniors. Fortuna is in the heart of great stands of virgin redwoods – and right in the heart of Fortuna is our beautiful senior living community offering the full continuum of care. Nestled in the Eel River Valley and encircled by mountains. Our beautiful senior living community offers
- Brookdale Fortuna Cottages: Our independent living community provides 21 two-bedroom, two-bath retirement “cottages,” located together in a cul-de-sac neighborhood with sidewalks, full garages and community clubhouse.
- Brookdale Fortuna Assisted Living: Our main building is home to 62 private assisted living apartments, some with views into a lovely courtyard area.
- Brookdale Fortuna Memory Care: In its own secured area on the first floor of our main building, our memory care neighborhood offers a full range of semi-private apartments that can accommodate up to 20 residents suffering from such memory impairments as Alzheimer’s disease.
Our campus is interconnected with paved pathways, making it easy for residents to take full advantage of our “continuous senior living community.” This unique environment allows residents to easily transition from one care level to the next – and allows couples to remain on the same campus together, even if one can live independently, but the other requires assisted living or memory care.
Moreover, with memory care and assisted living conveniently located in the same building, residents can easily visit one another – especially important should one spouse live in memory care and the other in the assisted living section of our main building.
The Perfect Location
Northern California has it all – a temperate climate ranging from the low 50’s in the winter to the low 70’s during the summertime, along with spectacular scenery and all the amenities you’d expect. Best of all, this part of California is home to our hometown of Fortuna, a small community of 10,000 people located just 17 minutes south of Eureka. Our community is within walking distance from downtown and conveniently located between the Redwood Village Shopping Center and Redwood Memorial Hospital, just ¼ mile from here. Many of our residents’ doctors are also within an easy drive of us.
With our own van for transportation, we take residents on frequent outings – downtown to go browsing through the many antique stores and boutique shops in Fortuna’s darling Victorian Village; out to eat at one of many restaurants, including several Chinese and Mexican favorites; or on numerous field trips, such as to the Gardens within the College of the Redwoods, a local bird sanctuary featuring walking trails through the marsh and a visitors’ center, and of course, trips to see the mighty redwoods.
Fortuna has its own redwood forest here in town – and just 30 minutes south along scenic Highway 101 is Humboldt Redwoods State Park, which boasts some of the world’s most majestic ancient redwood groves. The Pacific Ocean – which is partially responsible for our temperate weather – is less than an hour from Brookdale Fortuna.
A Wonderful Selection
No matter what type of living arrangement you or your loved one may require, Brookdale Fortuna can support the needs of almost any senior, from those who are able to live independently to residents with advanced Alzheimer’s. Our full selection of apartments includes:
- 62 private assisted living studio and one-bedroom apartments, ranging up to 460 square feet. Our bright, spacious apartments include a kitchenette with microwave, refigerator, sink, cupboards and ample drawers for storage; bathrooms with roll-in showers, easily accessible sinks and grab bars; 24-hour emergency response system; individually controlled heat; and wall-to-wall carpeting. Assisted living residents are also welcome to bring a small pet. Common areas include a spacious living room on the first floor, which is attached to our kitchen and dining area; a well-stocked activities rooom, also on the main floor; and a small library on the second floor.
- Semi-private memory care apartments able to accommodate a total of 20 residents. Each apartment includes a bathroom, which two residents share, along with its own common living area. Like our assisted living apartments, monthly rent includes utilities, 24-hour emergency response system and individual temperature control. Residents also have access to a fully secured enclosed outdoor courtyard. During the day, they spend most of their time either in the courtyard or in the spacious community living room, which is connected to the memory care neighborhood’s kitchen and dining area.
- 21 retirement cottages for independent living. Our two-bedroom, two bath cottages offer 1,034 square feet of living space, all on one floor. Each cottage includes its own washer/dryer; fully equipped kitchen with microwave, stove and oven, refrigerator and ample cabinets; high ceilings and large windows; an emergency call system; and a spacious garage with a storage room in the back. Most cottages also offer gas fireplaces. Weekly housekeeping and all maintenance are also included in the monthly rent. Pets are welcome too! The cottages are situated around a cul-de-sac that creates its own small neighborhood with sidewalks and beautiful landscaping. Should residents want a change of scenery, our retirement community has its own clubhouse with a pool table, sitting room with television and a library; many community events are held here.
Strong, Caring Professional Relationships
We work closely with Eureka Physical Therapy, which has a fully equipped rehabilitation facility here in Fortuna. Our van often takes residents to their appointments. And as necessary, our staff can help coordinate appointments for residents and their families, especially for residents whose health is in serious decline.
In addition, several home health agencies are located nearby and available to pay visits to those residents who require a level of care in addition to what we can provide. For residents who have undergone surgery and recently been discharged from the hospital, home health provides an invaluable service that helps residents in need get back their strength and stamina.
In addition, a doctor from the local Veteran’s office visits our veteran residents and a podiatrist pays house calls just about every other week. Our staff is happy to help coordinate appointments for residents.
Brookdale Fortuna is also privileged to have a staff member with a RCFE administrator licenses. By attending monthly seminars, they are kept abreast of the latest industry news and programs, and stay in close touch with their peers.
Yes, we are part of Brookdale – one of the nation’s leading providers of senior living communities – but we are also our own community, with close ties to Fortuna. In fact, many of our staff members grew up here – why leave? A small close-knit community, Fortuna is a very special place – special in its location and special because of the wonderful people who call it home. So when new residents join our community, often our staff knows them – or knows their families.
Some of our staff members have been with us since our community was built in 2001. There’s a simple reason for this longevity: our caring and compassionate caregivers, helpful housekeeping and maintenance staff, highly trained management, full-time nurse, Life Enrichment Director and Memory Care Director, along with many other team members, love Brookdale Fortuna as much as our residents do. It’s their home-away-from-home. As a result, residents quickly learn that they can trust us to treat them with the utmost respect and dignity, and they feel secure knowing that we will always put their needs first.
Our Community Lifestyle
A Wonderful Active Lifestyle
Just about every hour of the day up until dinnertime, our Life Enrichment Director has scheduled some kind of activity – sometimes two during the same time-frame. Monday through Friday, residents begin their days with exercise, including our own Walking Club that enjoys strolls around the community. We also offer a variety of activities we call “Touch the Five Senses,” which can include such brain games as Sudoku and trivia, interactive social events, arts and crafts and baking. Other activities held on a regular basis include Happy Hour, card and table games, gardening, Men’s Socials, Women’s Socials and scrap-booking.
On the first and third Tuesday of each month, and on Wednesdays, we bring in outside musical groups to entertain residents. Every Thursday we take residents out for lunch – either to a senior luncheon held at a local church or to the Victorian Village in Ferndale. On Saturdays, we load up our van and head out – for a scenic drive, to the local bird sanctuary, on a shopping excursion, to Eureka – among other local favorite destinations. Brookdale Fortuna also creates many unique opportunities during the year for our families to join us for major community-wide events, such as Thanksgiving Dinner, an Easter Egg Hunt or Fourth of July barbeques.
All of our activities are open to Assisted Living and retirement residents, although Brookdale Fortuna residents organize many of their own activities, which are often held in the clubhouse. Memory care residents have their own full calendar of activities, from baking cookies to movie nights to family dinners.
Partnering with the Local Neighborhood Community
As an integral part of the Fortuna community, we open our home to a variety of outside groups. Every other week, Hospice of Humboldt utilizes our activities room to hold its grief support group.
In addition, Community Health Alliance conducts four six-week educational programs called Pathways to Health at our community each year. Each program focuses on a specific illness – cardiovascular disease or cancer, for example – and provides in-depth information on dealing with that disease. These outstanding programs are extremely well attended by a wide spectrum of residents and medical professionals from throughout the county.
Our Assisted Living residents are served three nutritious and delicious meals a day – restaurant style – in their own dining room, with two entrees choices at both lunch and dinner. In addition, residents can choose from our always-available menu, which offers such lighter fare as soups and sandwiches, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, salads and more. At breakfast, which is served from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., residents have a full smorgasbord to choose from – cereals, fresh fruit, juices, one main breakfast entrée such as French toast or an omelette – or they can always ask for eggs, made to order. Our memory care residents are served three meals each day in their own dining room, plus three major snacks to help prevent weight loss.
Our dining services director, who has a long history of experience in food service, has an incredible ability to keep the kitchen organized and running at top speed – essential since we do our best to accommodate a wide variety of tastes and preferences. In addition, we can cater to just about any special dietary requirement, from low-salt to soft mechanical to pureed diets for residents who have swallowing difficulties. A photo of each resident, with his or her likes, dislikes and dietary needs, is posted in our kitchen.
We also hold many special themed dinners and holiday celebrations throughout the year to which we invite all residents and their family members, as well as other guests from the Fortuna community. Our chefs go all out, creating a fantastic menu that not only tastes wonderful, but is presented with flair!
Community News and Events
Our Valentine’s Day Contest Winner is Well Deserved Betty was the winner of our “Lonely Valentine’s Contest”. The letter below is from Betty’s daughter who nominated her for the contest. To Whom It May Concern: My name is Dawna Kyber and I want to thank you so much for sponsoring such a wonderful event – […]
Read More »