Formerly: Canterbury Campus Community
Harlingen, TX 78550
- Memory Care
- Assisted Living
A Wonderful Place to Call Home
Brookdale Harlingen, provides exclusive Independent Living, Assisted Living and Alzheimer’s Care services for seniors. Our lovely two-acre campus is located in a rural area of Harlingen, Texas, with four roads traveling through our property. A full wing of our campus is dedicated to our Memory Care residents.
Located at the southernmost tip of Texas in the Rio Grande Valley, Brookdale Harlingen has been designated a Certified Retirement Community by the state of Texas. Partly because of our semi-tropical climate, offering year-round activities, and that we are known as the “Health Care Center of the Valley.” Our community is located between Valley Baptist Medical Center and Harlingen Medical Center, and close to many rehabilitation centers, skilled nursing facilities, physician offices and home health agencies.
With a continuum of care located in one community, our loving family is designed to support seniors who have independent lifestyles and those needing assistance with daily activities. Residents have the security of knowing they can remain here without having to relocate and separate from their familiar surroundings and friendships, should their needs change over time. We can facilitate moves throughout our campus with very little disruption.
The Brookdale Harlingen Lifestyle
With so much going on in the surrounding areas, we take our residents often for country drives and day excursions, visiting local restaurants and the beautiful South Padre Island, which is one of the country’s top vacation spots. Right here in town, we take full advantage of the Jackson Street historical district with its old-world charm, art galleries, a live theater, quaint shops, the Jackson Street Market and museums.
There are also outlet shopping malls nearby in Mercedes, which is one of our best attended monthly destinations. Harlingen is home to the Marine Military Academy, and has the original full-size casting of the Iwo Jima Monument, erected in Arlington National Cemetery. Our city is also a top birding destination in the United States and hosts the Annual Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival.
Residents enjoy a friendly environment where group living areas, an inviting dining room and many activities, naturally bring people together. Spacious and private apartments allow seniors to have all of the comforts of home, while ensuring they can maintain their privacy, dignity and independence.
Partnering with the Local Neighborhood Community
Our community is dedicated to staying connected and active in the Harlingen area. This commitment to our region is to add quality and value to lives of others. In this effort, our Memory Care community works in conjunction with the local Alzheimer’s Association chapter to conduct a monthly family support group. We also participate in the annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s, which is the nation’s largest event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care, support and research.
In addition, the Harlingen Rotary Club meets here once a week, and volunteers from the Marine Military Academy visit with residents, whether joining us for one of our community dances or helping blind residents play bingo. Several residents are also members of the local Red Hat Society, which meets here at our community.
Home-style cooking and restaurant-style dining are served three times a day in the group dining room. Residents can choose from daily selections such as grilled chicken, deli sandwiches, cheeseburgers and chef salads. A full breakfast is also served by our helpful and courteous wait staff and can include eggs made your way, pancakes, waffles and biscuits and gravy.
Our fine dining experience is prepared by a trained chef and receives nutritional support and recommendations from a registered dietician. We strive to satisfy each resident with delicious dietary choices, sensational service and accommodate special restrictions and requests. Snacks are also provided as well as a well-stocked hydration service.
To help alleviate any confusion or added stress, we keep mealtimes very routine for our Memory Care community. Residents all sit together at the same time and same table each day. Meals are served on colorful plates and tablecloths so that they can more easily distinguish their food. We also provide easy-to-eat snacks between meals, helping to ensure these residents get the nutrition and calorie count they need.
Learn More About Our Community
To experience Brookdale Harlingen’s community, please give us a call or submit the online form on this page.
Levels of Care
As the population ages, more people are discovering senior living and the peace of mind we offer. Our community’s approach focuses on being a trusted partner and listening to your needs, understanding the life you want for yourself or a loved one and customizing a solution that puts that life within reach.
Brookdale Harlingen offers three levels of care:
- Independent Living – promotes a rewarding lifestyle for independent seniors. We provide vacation-style amenities and programs, allowing you the freedom to live a more relaxed and comfortable lifestyle. We enable seniors to trade in the responsibilities of home maintenance for the sophisticated comfort of a well-deserved retirement, with activities and wellness opportunities in an engaging environment.
- Assisted Living – where residents receive personal assistance and support with the daily activities and services needed, such as medication management, meals, bathing and dressing, as well as daily living activities and amenities for housekeeping and linen services, transportation and recreations. Our individualized care plans provide an ideal blend of convenience and support, with respect for personal preferences.
- Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care – was created over 25 years ago and continually embraces current research in Dementia Care, coupled with the experience of caring for thousands of people with dementia. Associates help residents create daily moments of success, offering opportunities for them to experience a sense of purpose and meaning. A gently daily structure is provided to help maintain and encourage current skills.
Our three-story Independent Living community offers 55 apartments, including one-bedroom, one bedroom deluxe, two-bedroom and two-bedroom deluxe units. All apartments include a dining room and full kitchen, living room and screened-in balcony or patio. This community also has its own beautiful dining room with high ceilings, an elegant front lobby and several outdoor areas including a beautifully maintained courtyard and patio, where residents can enjoy occasional barbecues.
Assisted Living offers 65 apartments including studios and one-bedroom units. Residents looking to share costs and companionship may choose our Friendship Suite option. Each unit is bright and spacious and includes a kitchenette with a mid-sized refrigerator and microwave, along with a large wheelchair and scooter-accessible bathroom and walk-in shower. Several common areas are available to residents including a front lobby and activities area, a game room, meeting room for parties, a private dining room, chapel and community dining room.
The Memory Care community is located in a separate wing of our Assisted Living community and offers 36 studio apartments, most of which are semi-private, although a private room can be requested. Residents have their own dining room, large activities room and a secured courtyard where they can enjoy being outdoors in a safe and supervised environment.
Strong, Caring, Professional Relationships
Residents can feel safe knowing some of the state’s best medical facilities are all within an easy drive. In addition, home health and rehabilitation providers from the immediate area come into our community and offer services such as physical and occupational therapy, here in the comfort of the resident’s own home or in one of our many common areas.
Hospice is also always welcome. We can take residents to various rehabilitation facilities in the area, should they require more intensive therapy. A few physicians make house calls and local home health agencies occasionally sponsor health fairs at our community, offering a variety of free screenings to our residents.
Learn More About our Levels of Care
We invite you to experience exceptional Independent and Assisted Living, as well as Memory Care at Brookdale Harlingen. Please fill out the online form or give us a call to schedule a tour.
Our inviting community provides the care and services you need, plus the amenities of a resort. While the levels of care and their needs will vary with each resident, every effort is made to ensure a comfortable and supportive retirement for our seniors.
- Assistance with personal needs including dressing, bathing and dining
- Licensed nurse available
- Personal solutions
- Medication management
- Personal care assistance available around the clock
- Ongoing monitoring of resident’s health status
- Behavior tracking and management
- Weekly housekeeping services
- Personal laundry services
- Linen services
- Three freshly-prepared, nutritious and appetizing meals served daily
- Snacks and beverages available throughout the day
- Room service
- Daily programs, events or outings
- Scheduled transportation services available
- Incontinence care/management
- Short-term stay options
- Specialized intervention programs, including weight management, nutrition tracker and falls management
- Respite care available
- Coordination of hospice care
- Specially designed environment for individuals with limited mobility
- Ancillary services including pet care, in-room food service and errands
- Wall-to-wall carpeting
- Window coverings
- Individually-controlled heating and air conditioning
- Kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave and sink
- Telephone hookup
- Basic cable included
- Private bath including step-in shower and safetybars
- Walk-in shower
- Small pets welcome
Learn More About our Services
For more information on our programs and amenities, or our accommodations, please give us a call today.