Formerly: Emeritus at Sequoia Springs
Fortuna, CA 95540
(include area code)
- Memory Care
- Assisted Living
- Independent Living
Elegant Retirement Community in Fortuna, CA
Brookdale Fortuna is an exclusive retirement community, providing independent living, assisted living and Alzheimer’s and dementia care for seniors. We are in the heart of virgin redwoods and nestled in the Eel River Valley, encircled by mountains. Our beautiful community offers the perfect retirement experience for independent seniors and for those needing assistance with their daily activities.
Fortuna’s campus is interconnected with paved pathways, making it easy for residents to take full advantage of our continuum of senior living services. Our unique environment allows residents to easily transition from one care level to the next and allows couples to remain on the same campus together, even if one can live independently but their spouse requires Assisted Living or Memory Care.
No matter what type of living arrangement you or your loved one may require, our property can support the needs of almost any senior. Our Independent Living Community provides 21 two-bedroom, two-bath retirement cottages located together in a cul-de-sac neighborhood with sidewalks, full garages and a community clubhouse.
The Assisted Living building is home to 62 private assisted living apartments, some with views into a lovely courtyard area, and Memory Care residents have their own secured area on the first floor of our main building.
A Beautiful Environment
Northern California has a temperate climate ranging from the low 50’s in the winter, to the low 70’s during the summertime, along with spectacular scenery and many attractions. Fortuna is a small community of 10,000 people, located just 17 minutes south of Eureka. We are within walking distance to downtown Fortuna and conveniently located between the Redwood Village Shopping Center and Redwood Memorial Hospital, both just a short drive from us.
Fortuna has its own redwood forest here in town and 30-minutes south, along scenic Highway 101, is Humboldt Redwoods State Park which boasts some of the world’s most majestic ancient redwood groves. The Pacific Ocean is less than an hour from Brookdale.
With our own van for transportation, we take residents on frequent outings to go browsing through the many antique stores and boutique shops in Fortuna’s darling Victorian Village, or out to eat at one of many local restaurants in town. Numerous field trips are always planned, such as the Gardens within the College of the Redwoods, a local bird sanctuary featuring walking trails through the marsh and trips to see the mighty redwoods.
An Engaging and Active Lifestyle
Just about every hour of the day up until dinnertime, our Life Enrichment Director has scheduled some kind of activity planned. Residents can begin their days with exercise including our own Walking Club that enjoys strolls around the community. We also offer “Touch the Five Senses” which can include brain games like Sudoku and trivia, interactive social events, arts, crafts and baking.
Other activities held on a regular basis include happy hour, card and table games, gardening, Men’s Socials, Women’s Socials and scrap-booking. On occasion, we bring in outside musical groups to entertain residents and create many unique opportunities during the year for our families to join us for major community-wide events such as Thanksgiving Dinner, an Easter Egg Hunt or Fourth of July barbecues.
Residents are served three nutritious and delicious meals a day, restaurant style, in their own dining room with two entree choices at both lunch and dinner. In addition, residents can choose from our always-available menu which offers soups and sandwiches, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, salads and more. Breakfast includes cereals, fresh fruit, juices, one main breakfast entrée such as French toast or an omelette, or they can always ask for eggs made to order.
Our dining services director, who has a long history of experience in food service, has an incredible ability to keep the kitchen organized and running at top speed, which is essential, since we do our best to accommodate a wide variety of tastes and preferences. Additionally, we can cater to just about any special dietary requirement, from low-salt, to pureed diets for residents who have swallowing difficulties. A photo of each resident with his or her likes, dislikes and dietary needs is posted in our kitchen.
To help alleviate any confusion or added stress, we keep mealtimes very routine for our Memory Care community. Residents all sit together at the same time and same table each day. Meals are served on colorful plates and tablecloths so that they can more easily distinguish their food. We also provide easy-to-eat snacks between meals, helping to ensure these residents get the nutrition and calorie count they need.
Learn More About Our Community
To experience Brookdale’s Fortuna community and the exceptional services we offer, please give us a call or submit the online form on this page.
Levels of Care
As the population ages, more people are discovering senior living and the peace of mind we offer. Our community’s approach focuses on being a trusted partner and listening to your needs, understanding the life you want for yourself or a loved one and customizing a solution that puts that life within reach. After all, the Golden years should be enjoyable, and our community strives to make this possible.
Brookdale Fortuna offers three levels of care:
- Independent Living promotes a rewarding lifestyle for independent seniors. We provide vacation-style amenities and programs, allowing you the freedom to live a more relaxed and comfortable lifestyle. We enable seniors to trade in the responsibilities of home maintenance for the sophisticated comfort of a well-deserved retirement, with activities and wellness opportunities in an engaging environment.
- Assisted Living is where residents receive personal assistance and support with the daily activities and services needed, such as medication management, meals, bathing and dressing, as well as daily living activities and amenities for housekeeping and linen services, transportation and recreations. Our individualized care plans provide an ideal blend of convenience and support, with respect for personal preferences.
- Memory Care was created over 25 years ago and continually embraces current research in Alzheimer’s and dementia care, coupled with the experience of caring for thousands of people with dementia. Associates help residents create daily moments of success, offering opportunities for them to experience a sense of purpose and meaning. A gently daily structure is provided to help maintain and encourage current skills.
More About Memory Care
Our Memory Care program offers a secure environment for those with Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia. We believe that no matter where an individual is in their life, each has the right to live in a dignified manner and enjoy meaningful experiences every day.
Deeply rooted in a person-centered approach, our program focuses on sustaining feelings of belonging and purpose while seeking to preserve a sense of self. Providing excellent dementia care is a complex task that requires ongoing guidance and teaching for our staff members. All of our highly trained associates receive initial and on-going training in proper techniques, approach and care for seniors with dementia.
An established set of protocols and techniques enables our team to intervene when challenging behaviors resulting from dementia arise. The whole-community philosophy is the key that empowers our staff to identify any unmet needs, and be a part of the solution.
A Qualified and Loving Staff
Yes, we are part of Brookdale, one of the nation’s leading providers of senior living communities, but we are also our own community with close ties to Fortuna. In fact, many of our staff members grew up here. We are a small, close-knit community, and a very special place with regard to our location, and special because of the wonderful people who call it home. When new residents join our community, our staff often knows them or their families.
Some of our staff members have been with us since our community was built in 2001. There is a simple reason for this longevity with our caring and compassionate staff and caregivers, which is that they love Brookdale Fortuna as much as our residents do. It’s their home-away-from-home. As a result, residents quickly learn they can trust us to treat them with the utmost respect and dignity, and they feel secure knowing we will always put their needs first.
Strong and Caring Professional Relationships
We work closely with Eureka Physical Therapy, which has a fully equipped rehabilitation facility here in Fortuna. Our van often takes residents to their appointments, and as necessary, our staff can help coordinate appointments for residents and their families. Several home health agencies are located nearby and available to pay visits to those residents who require additional care.
For residents who have undergone surgery and recently been discharged from the hospital, home health provides an invaluable service that helps residents restore their strength and stamina. A doctor from the local Veteran’s office visits our veteran residents and a podiatrist pays house calls just about every other week.
Learn More About our Levels of Care
We invite you to experience exceptional Independent and Assisted Living, as well as Memory Care at Brookdale Fortuna. Please fill out the online form or give us a call to schedule a tour. We would love to show you our community!
Our inviting community provides the care and services you need, plus the amenities of a resort. While the levels of care will vary with each resident, every effort is made to ensure a comfortable and supportive retirement lifestyle for our seniors.
- Assistance with personal needs including dressing, bathing and dining
- Licensed nurse available
- Personal solutions
- Medication management
- Personal care assistance available around the clock
- Ongoing monitoring
- Behavior tracking and management
- Weekly housekeeping services
- Personal laundry services
- Linen services
- Three freshly-prepared, nutritious and appetizing meals served daily
- Snacks and beverages available throughout the day
- Room service
- Daily programs, events or outings
- Scheduled transportation services available
- Incontinence care/management
- Short-term stay options
- Specialized intervention programs, including weight management, nutrition tracker and falls management
- Respite care available
- Coordination of hospice care
- Specially designed environment for individuals with limited mobility
- Ancillary services including pet care, in-room food service and errands
Apartment Styles and Features
- Private suite
- Companion suite
- Wall-to-wall carpeting
- Window coverings
- Individually-controlled heating and air conditioning
- Kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave and sink
- Telephone hookup
- Basic cable included
- Private bath including step-in shower and safetybars
- Walk-in shower
- Small pets welcome
- All exterior doors alarmed for resident safety
- Handicap accessibility
- Emergency response system
- Fully sprinklered fire safety system
- Outdoor courtyard
- Outdoor walking paths
- Outdoor gardening areas with raised beds
- Recreation and activity room
- Family room for social gatherings
- Full-service dining room
- Private dining room for intimate or special celebrations
- Beauty/barber shop
- Washers and dryers available for personal use
- Located near shopping and fine dining
To Learn More About our Amenities
For more information on our programs, amenities or our accommodations, please give us a call or submit the online form today.