Rewarding Your Service

Paying for assisted living doesn’t have to be overwhelming or cause you stress. There are many different ways your loved one can pay for their stay at an assisted living community. If your loved one is a veteran, they may qualify for financial government assistance. 

The government-funded Aid and Attendance pension benefit program was designed to help aging veterans and their spouses pay for senior living. Unfortunately, not many veterans are aware of this program, but it can be used to offset many of the major assisted living expenses.



Veterans are not automatically enrolled in the Aid and Attendance program, you'll need to apply for this specific pension benefit. There are a few restrictions that may prevent some veterans from qualifying.

Those veterans who do qualify may be eligible to receive up to two thousand dollars of government assistance a month. This funding can be applied to cover their assisted living costs.

Funding is not limited to the veteran. If the veteran’s spouse requires assisted living accommodations, they may qualify as well. Depending on the expenses associated with a specific assisted living facility, this tax-free benefit may cover all of the potential costs.


Some Qualification Limitations

Military Service: To qualify for the aid and attendance benefit, veterans are required to have served ninety consecutive days. At least one of these days is required to have been during active duty.

Asset and Income Limitations: The Aid and Attendance benefit is only available to veterans who fall under a minimum income requirement. All of the veteran’s assets are taken into consideration. There are some exemptions. For instance, the veteran’s house and car are excluded from being considered assets.

Need: The veteran or spouse asking for aid must prove that they require assistance. For instance, veterans moving into an assisted living community must be able to prove that they need that level of care. This proof must be accompanied by notes from a doctor and the assisted living facility in question.