Finding the Perfect Fit
Once you and your senior loved one have decided that assisted living is the best choice, you’ll need to start “shopping around” to find the facility that best suits your needs. This can be a lengthy and difficult process, but if you plan ahead, you can make the whole experience much easier. Here are some questions you may want to ask when visiting assisted living facilities to make sure it’s the right fit.
You’ll get your first impression of a facility as you cross through its doors. As you tour the building, here are some questions you should ask yourself, and discuss with your loved one after your visit:
- Is the facility clean and organized?
- Does the building feel well kept and safe?
- Do the rooms have a “home-y” feel to them?
- Could you see yourself or your loved one calling this place home?
- Does the food look appealing and healthy?
- Does the facility have too much of a “medical” feel to it?
The residents and their behavior will also be a big clue as to how well the assisted facility is run. Here are some questions to ponder as you observe and talk with those who call the assisted living community home.
- Do residents look happy? Are they enjoying themselves?
- Do residents interact with each other in a friendly way?
- Do the activities offered at the facility seem enjoyable to the residents?
- Do the people living at this residence look like they’d get along well with the senior in your life?
Staying with the Best
You want to ensure that your loved one has the best care at an assisted living community. As the largest provider of senior living solutions in the country, Brookdale has shown for many years that our communities can provide the kind of quality care that seniors deserve, in an environment that's both supportive and enjoyable. Don't take our word for it, though. Schedule a tour at one of our assisted living communities, and we're certain that you'll leave there feeling confident that Brookdale is the best decision for you and your loved one.