What should I look for in an assisted living facility?
Once you and your senior loved one have decided that assisted living is the best choice, you’ll need to start “shopping around” to find the facility that best suits your needs. This can be a lengthy and difficult process, but if you plan ahead, you can make the whole experience much easier. Here are some questions you may want to ask when visiting assisted living facilities to make sure it’s the right fit.
The staff at your assisted living facility will become an everyday part of life for the senior who is planning to move in. If you and your loved one don’t feel comfortable with the staff, then you should move on to a different facility. Here are a few questions to ask yourself as your interact with staff.
- Did you feel welcomed by staff?
- Were staff members friendly not only to you, but also to the senior you’re touring with?
- Does the staff interact with one another in a friendly yet professional manner?
- Were there any staff members who you were not permitted to meet?
- What sort of schedules do staff members follow? Do these mesh with the needs of your loved one?