Living an Independent Lifestyle
Independent living communities are a good option for seniors who want to maintain their active lifestyle. Many independent living communities provide an array of social activities and other support services, as needed.
Type of Services to Expect
It is important to note that not all retirement communities are created equal. Some communities offer a whole host of activities and services, while others offer little more than housing. The following is a list of services that may be offered at an independent living community:
- Social Events — Look for an independent living community that provides daily events and activities that are designed to engage the body, mind and spirit. Through these social interactions, residents are able to pursue more active and fulfilling lives.
- Dining Services — Some independent living communities will offer meal plans and other dining services. Consider a community that offers healthy dining plans and customized menus. Some independent living communities offer regional favorites and allow their residents to provide input for the menus.
- Wellness Programs — Many independent living communities offer health and wellness programs. These programs are designed to help residents lead more active and healthy lives. These programs may include services like weight control and nutrition advice. Some communities even have on-site instructors who lead exercise classes and fitness programs.
- Transportation — Transportation is another major service that most independent living communities offer. These services typically include bus or car services to doctor visits and nearby community shopping centers.
- Support Services — Ask if the independent living community you're considering offers support services designed to assist residents in the event that a little help is needed with some daily activities.
Learn More About Independent Living
To learn more about the types of independent living services offered by Brookdale, call a national senior living advisor at the number on this page.