Understand Your Current Living Expenses
There are many questions that arise as you explore senior living options. “What will it cost?” is one of the first questions that is often asked about senior living.
What is the average cost and range for most apartments in rental Independent Living, Assisted Living and Alzheimer’s/Dementia care communities?
A good place to start is to first understand your current living expenses. When living at home, you make separate payments for things like food, utilities, home maintenance, property taxes, insurance, travel, entertainment and healthcare. Thinking of all these expenses together is a good way to begin to understand the monthly costs associated with living in a senior living community.
While many people start their search thinking about the apartment, they soon realize their decision focuses primarily on the services that will be received. With senior living, the Basic Monthly Service Rate (BMSR) typically includes:
- Restaurant-quality dining based on your menu selection, with friendly servers and an enjoyable atmosphere.
- Housekeeping chores, such as cleaning your apartment, changing linens and laundering clothing.
- Transportation options for medical appointments, shopping, education and entertainment.
- Health and wellness programs, such as our Be Fit exercise classes and other activities.
- Well-maintained common areas for socializing with friends.
- Emergency response and staff who are available 24 hours per day, 365 days per year for Assisted Living and Memory Care communities.
Your Basic Monthly Service Rate will depend upon the apartment you select, including square footage, number of rooms, location, views and unit availability. At Brookdale, we offer price point options for a wide range of budgets and lifestyles. (Prices below vary by community and may be outside of the typical range noted.)
- Independent Living, apartments range from under $1,000 to over $10,000 per month. However, the majority of these apartments are between $2,300 to $3,500 per month, with an average of $2,900.*
- Assisted Living, apartments range between $2,600 to $3,800 per month for the Basic Service Rate. Care fees average $800 per month, and provide help with activities of daily living and medication management. The only way to determine your exact care fees is through a clinical assessment.*
- Prices for apartments serving those with Alzheimer’s and other forms of Dementia range from $3,350 to $4,975 for the Basic Monthly Service Rate. Care fees average $1,250 per month and can only be determined through a clinical assessment.*
- Although most short-term stays in our Rehabilitation and Skilled Nursing Centers are funded by Medicare, any long-term stays are most often funded privately and range between $6,000 to $8,500 per month. Some centers in certain states, as well as some Assisted Living communities, accept Medicaid funding.*
* The pricing listed is for informational purposes to educate on typical costs in senior housing. Specific community pricing may vary and may be outside of the typical range noted.
The best way to determine which community meets your lifestyle and budget is to contact us directly and speak with a Senior Living Advisor. Only with Brookdale, do you have access to so many options close to where you live. Contact us today to visit any of our communities. No appointment is necessary – and walk-ins are always welcome – but an appointment will ensure we can meet according to your schedule. We look forward to meeting you and helping find a senior living solution that is just right for you and your family.