Independent Living Costs
It’s hard to put a price tag on your quality of life, but the cost of living is an important factor when considering an independent living community. The good news is there are plenty of ways to afford senior living communities, and it just might be more affordable than you think.
Independent Living Price Ranges
Independent living is often a rewarding experience for seniors. The best part is that you get to leave the responsibilities of home behind. Instead of losing time to sweeping, dusting and mowing the yard, you can socialize, have fun, participate in lively activities and pursue your hobbies with renewed enthusiasm.
If you can provide for your needs but want someone else to handle the meals, housekeeping, linen service and maintenance, it’s probably a great option for you.
But how much does independent living cost?
An Average Range of Independent Living Costs at Brookdale
Starting Base Rental Rate - $870 - $7,545*
In addition to the base rental rate, you may be responsible for other fees, including a one-time fee that covers admission and apartment preparation, which can range from $500 to $5,050.
* The pricing listed is for informational purposes to educate on typical costs in senior housing. Specific community pricing may vary and may be outside of the typical range noted.
Talk to a Senior Living Advisor about pricing! Call 855-350-3800
The Cost of Senior Living vs. Staying at Home
Making the leap to senior living is a big decision, and it’s important to weigh all the pros and cons. Should you stay at home? Is it time to move into a community? More importantly, can you even afford it?
The most common reason people waver on making the move is that they don’t think they can justify the cost. The reality is that living in a community does cost money, but living at home is pretty expensive too. You may be surprised to learn just how much you spend on your everyday life.
The necessities alone add up to around $25,000 a year, and that doesn’t even take into consideration things like housekeeping, laundry, restaurants, entertainment, unexpected expenses and going on vacation. So even if staying at home sounds like it will be less expensive, it’s worth your time to consider the actual cost.
What Am I Paying For?
Independent living is a great option for seniors who want to enjoy the freedom of life without the hassle of things like cleaning, cooking and maintaining a home. It’s a vacation-style, carefree environment that gives you the opportunity to do more of the things you love.
Curious to know more? Here are just a few things you could enjoy when you make your home at an independent living community:*
- A number of free activities, helping your entertainment budget go farther every single month
- A home-like living space with safety features, making sure you have time to enjoy your hobbies
- Fresh daily meals, giving you the energy you need to make the most of your day
- A staff that's available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to be alerted to an emergency
- Low property maintenance, giving you the chance to enjoy home sweet home without any of the upkeep
- Housekeeping and laundry, so you can spend less time dealing with chores and more time doing the things you love
Navigating senior living can be confusing. If you want more detailed pricing information or help understanding your options, give one of our Brookdale advisors a call.
Speak with a Senior Living Advisor. Call 855-350-3800
*The services listed are for informational purposes to educate on what's typically available. Services vary with each community and may not include the services listed.