Brookdale's Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
As COVID-19, or the coronavirus, continues to make news around the world, healthcare providers have prepared, adapted and strengthened their protocols, responses and communication plans. For Brookdale Senior Living, answering the challenges posed by the novel coronavirus means protecting and supporting our residents, patients and associates in over 800 locations nationwide, including senior living communities, skilled nursing centers, home health and hospice agencies.*
As SVP of Clinical Services, I have the honor of representing and supporting our Clinical Centers of Excellence, which represents clinicians staffed across our organization. We are providing our clinicians and associates with the tools and support to care for those we serve. The safety of our residents and associates is of utmost importance to us, and we are working diligently to both help ensure the early identification of coronavirus symptoms in our communities and implement containment and appropriate care measures to help prevent its spread.
While caring for residents with respiratory symptoms is part of our day-to-day routine, we’re reinforcing well-established infection prevention protocols and sharing the latest guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). And we have taken significant responsive measures at all of our communities.
The actions we’ve taken include but aren’t limited to:
- Updating and recommunicating all contagious disease policies and protocols as they relate to current knowledge regarding COVID-19.
- Activating an Emergency Command Center with leaders across every function.
- Procuring an adequate stock of precautionary, general supplies as well as food and medicine.
- Utilizing the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracking system to monitor COVID-19 outbreaks.
- Encouraging and training staff to be on heightened alert to signs of social isolation and loneliness, and ensuring tools such as Skype and FaceTime are on hand to help residents stay connected.
A Message from Our Clinical Services
Our priority is the health and safety of our residents and staff.
The Brookdale COVID-19 Toolkit
Access a variety of videos, flyers, and resources to help promote the safety and health of your patients.
- Brookdale is evaluating all move-ins on a case-by-case basis.
- In an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, all Brookdale communities are offering virtual tours only.
- Contact your local community to request a virtual tour and for information on that specific community’s current move-in status.
In an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, all Brookdale communities have restricted access to visitors. Unless otherwise mandated by public health officials or pursuant to the direction of corporate clinical leadership, the following currently applies in our communities.
- Staff from licensed healthcare agencies and private duty providers are continuing to provide services essential to the health or safety of a resident.
- Other visitors are prohibited at this time except for resident visitors in end-of-life situations.
- Health screenings are performed on anyone entering the community.
- We are rolling out a plan for virtual visits and encourage FaceTime and Skype calls.
- Transportation will continue for medically necessary healthcare appointments to outside providers.
- Transportation-specific precautionary measures are in place which include:
- Infection control protocols for vehicle cleaning
- Driver training to help ensure understanding of infection control basics.
- Outings other than to medical appointments are suspended. If the healthcare appointment is elective, we encourage it to be postponed.
- Residents may choose to go on outings with families and friends but are made aware of CDC recommendations related to social distancing.
In addition to following Brookdale’s existing communicable disease outbreak protocols, we have implemented additional precautionary measures, following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), local health experts and the Brookdale clinical team.
- Precautionary measures include:
- Associate training & screening at all communities and across all service lines
- To help create barriers in spreading of disease, we’ve updated and recommunicated all our contagious disease policies and protocols as they relate to current knowledge regarding COVID-19. This includes best practices and instructions for hand washing, using hand sanitizer, and disinfecting hard surfaces frequently.
- Our Emergency Response Command Center has been activated with leaders across every function.
- Brookdale is utilizing the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracking system to monitor COVID-19 outbreaks.
- Adequate stock of precautionary, general supplies procured, as well as food and medicine.
- COVID-19 is difficult to detect early, but communities have been provided with the tools needed to monitor residents’ health.
- On March 14, 2020, we had our first confirmed COVID-19 case involving a community resident. Since then, we have had additional positives results at other locations.
- Visit our newsroom for updated information.
- Stay in touch with your local sales associates and/or Business Development Director.
- Visit our newsroom for updated information.