Formerly: Emeritus at Roanoke
Roanoke, VA 24015
(include area code)
- Memory Care
Exceptional Memory Care in Roanoke, Virginia
At Brookdale Roanoke, we provide services that are dedicated to the special care of seniors with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. From our carefully designed building to a nurturing and highly trained staff, specialized programming and management, we focus on serving the specific needs of each resident and their family.
Brookdale is a pioneer in the development of Memory Care and our small community offers a comfortable, homelike environment which is ideal for individuals with memory loss. We believe that no matter where an individual is in their life, each has the right to live in a dignified manner, and enjoy meaningful experiences every day. Our highly-trained associates enable each resident to experience daily moments of success.
A Beautiful Place to Call Home
Nestled in a quiet, peaceful neighborhood setting and surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains, we are easily accessible from Brambleton Avenue, Colonial Avenue, Interstate 581 and Highway 220. Our community is within five miles of downtown Roanoke with hotels, restaurants and historic areas. We are convenient to popular shopping locales, such as Towers Shopping Center and Tanglewood Mall.
Roanoke has 56 private apartments which are fully furnished and include half baths. Our community is divided into four individual residences that truly reflect a home-like environment with kitchens, living and dining areas. We are all on one level, making it easy to navigate to common areas, giving residents and their loved ones the opportunity to get to know one another and interact in a safe and comfortable atmosphere. A large outdoor courtyard is accessible from anywhere in the community.
An Active and Engaging Environment
Our activities are developed from the detailed life stories we gather from each resident. We want to understand your loved ones hobbies, careers and interests and turn these ideas into activities they can enjoy. These are personalized, conducted in large and small groups and involve both the community staff and residents.
The Roanoke community conducts weekly ice cream socials as well as monthly birthday celebrations, and we hold quarterly events to encourage family partnerships. Daily activities include exercise, current events, and memory stimulation games. Residents enjoy weekly cooking with our Dining Services Director, along with outside volunteer involvement that includes pet therapy, music, dance and arts & crafts.
People suffering from Alzheimer’s and other memory impairments typically do not consume large amounts of food at one time. To make sure residents have a sufficient calorie intake, our menu includes three meals with entrée choices, and three snacks a day. We also offer various textured and finger foods, as some residents cannot use utensils.
Our staff is always here to help residents who need reminders to eat, and gives support for those requiring physical assistance. Additionally, residents who need less assistance, eat 30 minutes earlier than those needing more support. All meals are prepared in-house, and family members who join us for dining often tell us how much they enjoy our food.
We Would Love to Show You Our Community
If you have a loved one in need of Alzheimer’s or dementia care, we cordially invite you to visit and experience our exceptional model and the programs we offer at Brookdale Roanoke. Please complete the online form or give us call to schedule a tour.
Memory Care at Roanoke offers programs and a secure environment for those with Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia. Deeply rooted in a person-centered approach, our program focuses on sustaining feelings of belonging and purpose, while seeking to preserve a sense of self.
This concept has evolved over a quarter of a century by continually embracing the latest research and innovations in the delivery of quality dementia care. The Brookdale communities have cared for thousands of individuals with dementia, as well as for their families.
A Loving and Supportive Approach
Each person experiences the symptoms and progression of memory loss differently, and there are several stages that need to be taken into special consideration when exploring senior living options.
Why Memory Care is a better alternative to a typical Assisted Living environment:
- A resident living with memory loss may be confused in an environment that does not recognize or cannot address their challenges.
- Residents may be ostracized or ignored by others because of an inability to keep up with conversation or remember fellow residents.
- Personal care activities and programming are not necessarily designed for residents who live with memory loss. Too much stimulation can be stressful and confusing, and the inability to participate will cause withdrawal.
- Residents with memory loss may need reminders for daily living activities that allow them to live their life in a dignified manner.
- As memory loss progresses and levels of care change, the right community will eliminate the need to move to a different community, and this lessens the trauma for everyone.
Caring, Professional Relationships and Staff
We are dedicated to maintain professional relationships with the largest health-care providers in our area, including Roanoke Memorial and Lewis Gale Medical Center. Rehabilitation services are provided on-site five days a week by Genesis Rehabilitation, including physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy. We also contract with a house physician and psychiatrist.
Our community has tremendous pride and is fortunate to have longevity and tenure of its caregiving, nursing, dietary and housekeeping staff. Team members are committed to making a difference for the seniors we serve and take time to know each resident and their individual needs. At Brookdale Roanoke, we are a family and the care we provide is truly exceptional.
Partnering With Families and the Local Community
Brookdale is very involved in the local community. We are affiliated with the local chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association and work closely with the Center for Healthy Aging. Our community participates yearly in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s and the Grandparents Day Celebration. We partner with Music for Memories, Christmas in July and Be a Santa to a Senior.
Learn More About Our Memory Care Services
We invite you to schedule a tour of our lovely home and learn more about Brookdale Roanoke. Please call us today.
Brookdale Roanoke’s community provides the care and services your loved one needs. While the levels of support will vary with each resident, every effort is made to ensure a comfortable, engaging and supportive environment for each person.
- Assistance with personal needs including dressing, bathing and dining
- Licensed nurse on-site, 24-hours-a-day
- Medication management
- Personal care assistance available around-the-clock
- Ongoing monitoring
- Daily housekeeping services
- Linen services
- Three freshly prepared, nutritious and appetizing meals served daily
- Snacks and beverages available throughout the day
- Daily programs, events or outings
- Scheduled transportation services available
- Continence care/management
- Diabetic care
- Short-term stay options available
- Specialized intervention programs, including weight management, nutrition tracker, falls management and behavior management
- Respite care available
- Hospice care available
- Specially designed exercise and fitness programs
- Specially designed environment for individuals with limited mobility
- Ambulation and escort services
- Ongoing dementia training and support for staff
- Brookdale Personal Solutions – make life easier and more convenient with direct-to-doorstop delivery for all of your personal care products.
Accommodation Styles and Features
- Individually controlled heating and air conditioning
- Telephone hookup
- Basic cable included
- Walk-in shower
- Patio for outdoor living space
- Specially designed environment for individuals with memory loss
- All exterior doors alarmed for resident safety
- Handicap accessibility
- Fully sprinklered fire safety system
- Outdoor, enclosed courtyard with walking paths
- Outdoor gardening areas with raised beds
- Recreation and activity room
- Full-service dining room
- Family room
- Beauty and Barber shop
- Located near shopping and fine dining
- Convenient to public transportation
Learn More About Our Amenities
For more information on Roanoke’s programs, amenities or accommodations, please give us a call today.