The Information We Collect
There are two kinds of information web sites can obtain about you:
- Anonymous Information: Anonymous Information is aggregate data that web sites use to administer their Site. It may include such information as your browser type or your Internet Protocol (IP) address. We may from time to time retain third parties to help us collect and aggregate Site visitor information.
IP Addresses. An IP address is unique string of numbers that is assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. Web servers automatically identify your computer by its IP address. We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, to administer the Site, avoid hacking attacks on the Site’ servers, and may use it to gather broad demographic information.
- Personally Identifiable Information: Personally Identifiable Information is any information that personally identifies you, such as your name, address, email address or your telephone number. Sometimes this personal information is needed when you contact us. We may ask you to provide us with personal information on a voluntary basis in certain areas of the Site. In particular, you may be asked to provide the following information: Name, Postal Address, E-mail Address, Telephone Numbers – landline and cellular telephone
Email Correspondence. Scattered throughout the Site are links or forms that can be used to contact us so you can comment, make a complaint, make suggestions and ask questions. Your email address is required on this form so we can answer your questions, and we want your name, too, so we can address our answer in a mannerly way.
How We Use Gathered Information
The information you share with us may be used in a few ways:
- Anonymous Information: “Anonymous Information” is used internally for Site administration, troubleshooting and to help improve the quality of the web pages. We may share such aggregated, non-personally identifiable information, such as demographics, with existing and prospective business partners and advertisers.
- Personally Identifiable Information: “Personally Identifiable Information” collected by us may be used for purposes including administration of the Site and communications with you. We also may disclose Personally Identifiable Information if we are required to do so by law or we in good faith believe that such action is necessary to (a) comply with the law or with legal process; (b) protect and defend our rights and property; (c) protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Site; or (d) protect the personal safety or property of our users or the public.
- We may use the information collected to notify you of changes made to our Site, to send you promotional materials, and to determine what information and services users want the most. If you contact us for assistance or support, we may use your information to provide service and support to you. We may also provide the information to third parties who assist us in contacting customers about special offers and other Brookdale services, programs or events that would likely be of interest to you. We may share personally identifiable information, such as demographics, with existing and prospective business partners and advertisers that may be of interest to you.
- When you submit your information, you agree to be contacted by a Brookdale Senior Living Representative at the telephone number you've provided, in response to your inquiry, between the hours of 7AM and 11PM ET. You agree that we may use automatic telephone dialing systems and technology to contact you by phone or text message at the telephone number provided, and send you email notifications regarding promotions and related material on senior living.
We support the right of our visitors to choose. If you decide that you do not wish to receive special offers or promotional communications, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the address provided below, indicating that you no longer want to receive information relating to the Site.
Access and Correction
You have a right to know about the personal information that we hold about you, including the right to correct, amend or delete the information that we have on file if it is incorrect. If you wish to exercise these rights please contact us by email or postal mail at the addresses below.
The Site incorporates appropriate safeguards to protect the security, integrity, completeness, accuracy and privacy of the personal information we have collected. We have put in place reasonable precautions to protect information from loss, misuse and alteration. While on a secure page, the lock icon on the bottom of Web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer becomes locked, as opposed to unlocked, or open, when you are just “surfing”. Security of information communicated by or to us over the Internet is of utmost concern to us; unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that your email or other electronic correspondence with us through the Site, like most, if not all, non-encrypted Internet communications, may be accessed and viewed by other Internet users, without your knowledge and permission, while in transit to us. For that reason, to protect your privacy, please do not use email or the contact forms provided through the Site to communicate information to us that you consider confidential. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or through the Site, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure its security on our internal systems. Depending on the nature of the inquiry, your communication may be discarded or archived. If you wish, you may contact us instead via telephone at the numbers provided throughout the Site.
Disclosure of Customer Information Through Business Transfers
As we continue to develop our business, we may buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses, and in so doing, acquire customer information. In such transactions, user information may be among the transferred assets. Similarly, in the unlikely event that a portion or substantially all of our assets are sold or transferred to a third party, customer information (including your email address) would likely be one of the transferred business assets.
Our Commitment to Children's Privacy
Protecting the privacy of children is very important to us. The Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”) defines a “Child” as anyone under the age of 13. We strictly adhere to COPPA. For that reason, we do not collect or maintain information obtained through the Site from those we actually know are under 13, and no part of the Site is structured to attract anyone under 13.
Consent and Jurisdiction
This Site is controlled, operated and administered entirely within the United States. By using the Site, you signify your agreement to the terms of this Policy. If you do not agree with this Policy, please do not disclose any personal information through the Site. This Policy and the use of the Site are governed by Tennessee law. Any claim related to the Site or this Policy shall be brought in a federal or state court in Nashville, Tennessee, within one year after the claim arises. Users of the Site consent to the jurisdiction and venue of such courts as the most convenient and appropriate for the resolution of disputes concerning this Policy. This Policy and the notices outlined herein are not intended to and do not create any contractual or other legal rights in or on behalf of any third party.
Special Notice to California Residents
If you are a California resident and request information about how to exercise your third party disclosure choices, please send a request to email@example.com with a preference on how our response to your request should be sent.
California residents may be entitled to additional rights regarding their personal information. For more information about those rights and how to exercise them, please see our California privacy notice here, which is incorporated by reference into this Policy.
We may change, modify, add and/or delete all or portions of this Policy at any time, at our discretion, and modifications are effective upon being posted on the Site. If we decide to change this Policy, we will post those changes on the home page of the Site and any other places we deem appropriate so that you are aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it. You are responsible for reviewing this Policy periodically to ensure that you are aware of any changes to it. If we make material changes to this Policy, we will notify you by means of a notice on the Site’s home page.
Account Revisions, Revoking and Deleting Personal Information
We welcome your questions, comments and all feedback pertaining to your privacy or any other issue with regard to the Site.
At any time, you may revoke your consent, cease further use of your email address to send you updates, and direct us to delete the information you have supplied. Although it is not always possible to remove or modify such information, we will make reasonable efforts to do so. If you have given us information for one of those third parties we mentioned above and we have already passed it on, we cannot delete or change the information.
In the event that you have given us Personally Identifiable Information in the past and then have second thoughts or want to update it, you may send an email or contact us by regular mail:
Brookdale Senior Living, Inc.
6737 W. Washington Street, Suite 2300
Milwaukee, WI 53214
Last Updated: March 2016
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Brookdale Senior Living HIPAA Information
Brookdale Social Media Policy