- Finding the Right Option
- What Level of Care Do I Need?
- When is it the Right Time for Senior Living?
- How Do I Find the Right Senior Living Community?
- Financial Planning
- Average Cost of Senior Living
- Helpful Financial Resources
- Understanding Medicare Coverage
- Veterans Benefits
- Having the Conversation
- How to Prepare for the Conversation
- Helping the Conversation Go Smoothly
- Next Steps After the Conversation
You may think paying for senior living could be a challenge, but there may be more financial aid options available than you realize. If you’re a veteran, for example, you may qualify for thousands of dollars in government assistance without even knowing it.
There are millions of veterans throughout the country but few know about the benefits available to them through the Veterans Aid and Attendance program. This government-funded pension benefit was designed to help senior veterans and their spouses pay for senior living, and it can be used to cover things like in-home care, assisted living, skilled nursing and more.
Applying for Financial Assistance
Depending on your individual circumstances and the benefit you want to apply for, you may need a variety of documents and forms. You can find the most current information you need to apply at the VA website.
You can also visit your local regional benefit office to speak to a representative and receive advice on what you might qualify for and how to apply. If you aren’t sure where your local regional office is, you can check out the VA Facility Locator.