Audiobooks can also be a great option for people who struggle to find time to sit down and read, or for those who prefer to consume content through listening rather than reading. But the benefits don’t end there: one major advantage of audiobooks is that they may help to make it easier for people with poor eyesight, visual impairment or dyslexia to immerse themselves in literature. Overall, audiobooks offer a versatile and convenient way to enjoy books in practically any genre you can think of, and they can be a great option for a wide range of people.
If you're looking to get started listening to audiobooks on your mobile device, you're in luck! With the increasing popularity of audiobooks, there are now several easy ways to access and enjoy them on your phone or tablet. Here are some tips to help get you started:
- Go to your app store. If you have an Android device, go to the Google Play store to search for apps. If you have an Apple iPhone, navigate to the App Store. From the App Store or Google Play store, type “audiobook” in the search panel. You’ll likely see a long list of results for audiobook apps, but we recommend sticking with some of the more popular services. Be sure to read the reviews to find the app with the features you want!
- Choose an audiobook service. There are many different services that offer audiobooks, but some of the biggest are Audible, LibroFM, Librivox and Audiobooks.com. Additionally, your local library might have audiobook options available through apps such as Libby and Overdrive. Each audiobook service has its own selection of titles, pricing and features, so take some time to explore and find one that best suits your needs.
- Download the app. Once you've chosen a service, download the app from the app store onto your mobile device or tablet. This will allow you to create and access your account, browse for books and start listening.
- Create an account and purchase a book. Many audiobook services will require you to create an account before you can purchase and download a book. Follow the instructions on the app to create an account and choose your first book.
- Download the book. Once you've purchased a book, it will be added to your library on the app. In most cases, you can then download it to your device for offline listening. If you need some audiobook suggestions, check out the list at the end of this article for some of our team’s favorites!
- Adjust your settings. Before you start listening, take some time to adjust the settings on the app to your liking. This might include setting the playback speed, choosing a sleep timer or setting up automatic bookmarking.
- Start listening. Now it's time to start enjoying your audiobook! Simply open the app, select the book from your library, and hit play. You can listen while you're running errands, getting some exercise or even tidying up the house.
Overall, getting started with audiobooks on your mobile device is easy and convenient. With a little bit of setup and some experimentation, you'll be listening to your favorite books in no time. In case you need a few suggestions to help get started on your auditory adventure, our team has compiled a list of some of our favorite reads.
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
- The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
- The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K. Rowling
- The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Hondo, by Louis L’Amour
With essentially every genre of literature represented on most audiobook apps, odds are you’ll find something that suits your individual interests and preferences. Take some time browsing the options available on your favorite app to find titles that appeal to you. And happy listening!
Want an entertainment experience that’s a bit more bite-sized than an audiobook? Check out our Guide to Podcasts.
- Alzheimer's & Dementia
- Caregiver's Corner
- Health, Safety and Wellness
- Financial Well-Being
- Passion & Purpose
- The Journey to Senior Living
- Trending Now
- Socialization & Relationships
- Brookdale Solutions
- Brookdale Vision and Growth
- March 2023
- February 2023
- January 2023
- December 2022
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
Inside Brookdale Communities
See what’s happening on our community Instagram pages
Let us help find the right community for you!
for more information.
Mon - Fri: 7am - 9pm CST
Sat - Sun: 8:30am - 5:30pm CST
Senior Living Advisor